Thursday, January 25, 2007

Germs killing microwave-sponge experiments annoy some

On Tuesday, I blogged about using a microwave to kill germs living inside your kitchen sponges. I'm not sure if any of you have tried it but there are others who did with some unpleasant results - their sponges got burnt and microwaves ruined! From CNN:
"Just wanted you to know that your article on microwaving sponges and scrubbers aroused my interest. However, when I put my sponge/scrubber into the microwave, it caught fire, smoked up the house, ruined my microwave, and pissed me off," one correspondent wrote in an e-mail to Reuters.

"First, the sponge is worthless afterwards so you have to throw it out instead of using it. And second your entire house stinks like a burning tire for several hours, even with windows/doors open," complained another...

The university issued the following advisory: "To guard against the risk of fire, people who wish to sterilize their sponges at home must ensure the sponge is completely wet. Two minutes of microwaving is sufficient for most sterilization. Sponges should also have no metallic content. Last, people should be careful when removing the sponge from the microwave as it will be hot."

(Thanks Mr Big)

Previously: Microwave your kitchen scrubbers and sponges

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis