Thursday, July 10, 2008

My sudden loss of internet solved

I turned on my PC at around 2 in the morning and I found out that I couldn't get online. I tried every trick in the book to get my connection back on again but it just didn't work. I thought it was bloody Starhub so I decided to try again when I wake up. Maybe they were fixing their network or something. Awhile ago, I still couldn't connect to the internet and I was farking pissed! Just when I was about to pick up the phone and vent my anger on the Starhub folks, I decided to close my ZoneAlarm firewall. It worked! So it's a problem with my firewall? I've been using ZoneAlarm firewall for a very long time. It's a great free software and I never had any problems with it. With my internet connection back on, the first thing I did was to head to ZoneAlarm's website and I saw this:



So it's the bloody Microsoft Update which my PC downloaded automatically last night that is the problem! ZoneAlarm says that the Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not affected. In its security advisory, it listed several fixes, one of them is to download the latest version of ZoneAlarm firewall. I just did that and everything seems to be fine now. Phew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noob

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...