Thursday, July 12, 2007

Singaporeans love the word "love"

The British Council has revealed Singapore's six most favourite English words, according to the results of its recent online survey. In no particular order, those words are love, cool, mom, dream, family and peace. From Channel NewsAsia:
After "love", "cool" is the next favourite word, scoring over 1,200 votes.

"What I think most Singaporeans will use would be 'cool'. And everything can be cool, like your dressing is cool…going for a vacation will be cool…everything can be cool," says one Singaporean.

The top words were picked from a list of 60.

Says Eunice Crook, Director, Singapore British Council, "As part of our campaign with the Speak Good English Movement this year, we want to look at the way people use language.

"But this is also the British Council's 60th anniversary this year, so we thought 60 words for 60 years. 60 favourite words. And looking at people's favourite words also reflects the way people think."
I use the word cool a lot in my blog so if you ask me, that has to be my favourite word. I'm just surprised that food and money are not in the top 6.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm wonder what's my favourite word... never thought about that!

Hehe!! Thanks for dropping by at my blog!

Anonymous said...

mine is Sex!

Anonymous said...

Food should be in the list because Singaporean love food right.

Anonymous said...

Dream among the top 6?

Strange.

Anonymous said...

I use 'fuck' all the time so that has to be my fav word.

Anonymous said...

Mine is SLEEP.

Anonymous said...

Favourite Singapore word not 'PAP'?

Anonymous said...

I put food and money into their top six list.

Anonymous said...

my favourite word is IZ!!!

Anonymous said...

cheeybye and fuck la noobs

Anonymous said...

Lord Kimbo: I use 'fuck' all the time so that has to be my fav word. Do you say to your gfs too?

oh, my goodness !

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...