Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Watch the choir performance that was banned by Singapore



It seems that in Singapore, foreigners are not allowed to complain about the country. The Media Development Authority (MDA) banned the live outdoor performance of the Complaints Choir of Singapore because it objected to the presence of six foreigners among the 50-member project. It says that the choir's song touched on domestic affairs - something that foreigners have no right to talk (or sing) about. Private indoor performances are still allowed though and the clip above is taken during one of those performances.

Lyrics here:

We get fined for almost everything
Drivers won’t ‘give chance’ when you want to ‘change lane’
The indoors are cold, the outdoors are hot;
And the humid air, it wrecks my hair
Those answering machines always make you hold
Only to hang up on you

When a pregnant lady gets on the train
Everyone pretends to be asleep
I’m stuck with my parents till I’m 35
Cause I can’t apply for HDB
We don’t recycle any plastic bags
But we purify our pee

*chorus:
What’s wrong with Singapore?
Losing always makes me feel so sore
Cause if you’re not the best
Then you’re just one of the rest

My oh my Singapore
What exactly are we voting for?
What’s not expressly permitted
is prohibited

“Ooh”

When I’m hungry at the food court, I see
People ‘chope’ seats with their tissue paper
To the aunty staying upstairs:
Your laundry’s dripping on my bed sheets
Please don’t squat on the toilet seats
And don’t clip your nails on MRT

Stray cats get into noisy affairs
At night my neighbor makes weird animal sounds
People put on fake accents to sound posh
And queue up 3 hours for donuts
Will I ever live till eighty five
to collect my CPF?

*chorus

Singaporeans too kiasu! (so scared to lose)
Singaporeans too kiasi! (so scared o die)
Singaporeans too kiabor!(scared of their wives)
Maybe we’re just too stressed out! (even the kids)

“Ooh”

Old National Library was replaced by an ugly tunnel
Singaporean men can’t take independent women
People blow their nose into the swimming pool
And fall asleep on my shoulder in the train

Singapore’s national bird is the crane (the one with yellow steel girders)
Real estate agents’ leaflets clogging up my mailbox (en bloc, en bloc; en bloc, en bloc)
Why can’t we be buried when we die?
No one wants to climb Bukit Timah with me

*chorus

“Ooh”

There are not enough public holidays
My neighbor sings KTV all night
Wedding dinners never start on time
My hair is always cut shorter than I want
Channel 5 commercials are way too long
Why do men turn bad?

*At first it was to speak more mandarin
Then it was to speak proper English
What’s wrong with my powderful Singlish?

People sit down during rock concerts
We have to pay for tap water at restaurants
ERP gantries are everywhere
But I can still see traffic jams on the road
All the bus stops have tilted benches to keep you off balance

*chorus

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, great lyrics... so so so so TRUE! i wanna join them... how ah?

Anonymous said...

Another stupid decision by our govt.

Anonymous said...

Must compRain liao!

Anonymous said...

the song started out well but gets too complicated later.. still kudos to those who come up with the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!

Everything in the song is so so Singapore true.

Anonymous said...

>The Media Development Authority (MDA) banned the live outdoor performance of the Complaints Choir of Singapore because it objected to the presence of six foreigners among the 50-member project.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SINGAPORE?

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...