Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2006 word of the year is Plutoed

The American Dialect Society comprising of linguists, grammarians, historians and independent scholars, has chosen Plutoed as its 2006 word of the year. From MSNBC:
To "pluto" is "to demote or devalue someone or something," much like what happened to the former planet last year when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto didn't meet its definition of a planet.

"Our members believe the great emotional reaction of the public to the demotion of Pluto shows the importance of Pluto as a name," said society president Cleveland Evans. "We may no longer believe in the Roman god Pluto, but we still have a sense of personal connection with the former planet."
Don't pluto me okay? Or I shall pluto you too. Ha!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. I won't pluto you IZ.

Anonymous said...

I dun pluto people one!

Anonymous said...

So it is an official word now?

It just sounds so vulgar to me like the malay word Butoh.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe... I hope my boss don't pluto me this year.

Anonymous said...

Haha!!

It sounds so vulgar that I like!

Anonymous said...

>linguists, grammarians, historians and independent scholars, has chosen Plutoed as its 2006 word of the year.

You mean all these linguists, scholars have no other real words to choose from so they invent a new one?!

Strange.

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...