Monday, September 04, 2006

The day my hero died



I thought it was a joke. I thought it was just a bad dream. I received an sms just minutes ago from my good friend Ju, back in Australia. In the sms, she said, "My god Z, your Steve Irwin has passed away." For those who do not know Steve Irwin, he is one of Australia's most famous personalities, the owner of Australia Zoo and the star of the Crocodile Hunter documentary series. He is a legend! Ju wasn't lying. A check with the news confirms this. I cannot believe it. My hero has died. From The Age:
Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, has died after being struck by a stingray barb in Queensland.

Mr Irwin, 44 died after the stingray barb went through his chest while he was shooting a documentary off Port Douglas.

The Queensland Police Service has confirmed Mr Irwin's death. In a statement, it said Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung by a sting ray at Batt Reef, off Port Douglas, about 11am.

After being struck, Mr Irwin's crew called for medical treatment and the Emergency Management Queensland Helicopter responded, but he was dead before the treatment arrived.
To me, he was indestructable. To me, he is my real hero. I remember going to his zoo many times when I was a boy. I've even met him twice. He was an amazing bloke who was friendly to people and very energetic. He gave me the passion for the animals, wildlife and conservation. I caught my first snake thanks to him. I've watched his shows. I've followed his career and his life. He will be dearly missed.

To Terri, Bindi and Bob: I'm very sorry about your loss. I'm very sure he was a great husband and an amazing dad! All of Australia and the world are with you on this sad day.

To Steve: May god bless you mate and thanks for being my hero. "Croc Rules!"

Gosh, this is so sad (I.Z. in tears and in shock).

(Thanks Ju)

Update:

The actual statement from Queensland police announcing his death. (Thanks Shy)

The producer of Steve's film company, held a press conference earlier today outlining the circumstances of Steve's untimely death and the events that surrounded it. (Thanks Lisa)

Fans worldwide are talking about Stevo on the Animal Planet's forum. (Thanks Boywonder)

Reader Stross tells me that The Crocodile Hunter website has crashed and a lot of websites are down after they reported the news of Steve's death. (Thanks Stross)

The location on Google Maps where Steve was stung by the stingray. (Thanks GeekGod)

Related posts:
Steve Irwin loved Singapore Zoo
Steve Irwin Tribute (his last ever interview)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Just shows how vulnerable life is.

Anonymous said...

Legends like him will never die.

Anonymous said...

Tell me this is a joke.
Tell me!

Anonymous said...

Hugs. Don't be sad IZ. At least he died while doing something he really love.

Anonymous said...

i always thot if he would unfortunately die one day, it would be because of a crocodile.

Anonymous said...

WHAT A TRAGEDY!!!

:o(

:o(

:o(

Anonymous said...

My condolences to the Irwin family.

Anonymous said...

oh my..... what will happen to his tv shows? poor thing.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P sir.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this IZ. Hug. Hug. Don't cry k.

Anonymous said...

So sad.. no more croc hunter liao.

Anonymous said...

>oh my..... what will happen to his tv shows?

His wife will carry the torch. His daughter Bindi will also have her own show.

Anonymous said...

He was a joy to watch.

My heart goes out to his wife and his kids who are still so young.

I hope Bindi wasn't around when he died.

It would have been a traumatic experience for the young girl.

Anonymous said...

he always have this gungho attitude.....i always fear for his safety when i watch his shows.

Anonymous said...

Steve Irwin has a big following here in the States. There will be a lot of crying American kids and adults today. My kids love him. Now I am quite lost at how to inform them of this bad news.

Anonymous said...

The irony is that Steve was not killed by the dangerous animals that he had worked with, like crocs, lions, snakes but a peaceful fish, the stingray.

Anonymous said...

Sad, sad day.

Anonymous said...

rest in peace stevo.

Anonymous said...

He must have touched the stingray in a nasty way.

Stingray are usually gentle creatures.

Anonymous said...

His daughter wasn't at the scene when he died. Thank god.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P Stephen Robert Irwin.

Anonymous said...

Stingrays aren't killers. Most Stingray attacks are not lethal. What happened to Steve is equivalent to winning a lottery - to have a stingray's barb piercing your chest!

Anonymous said...

of all d animals dat wld killed him...

it had to be the stingray.

Someone Steve inspired said...

He inspired the world and that will live on forever, and he shall live on in our hearts FOREVER.

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...