Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Living with Mount Merapi

Ambar who is currently living in Singapore, recounts her experience living with Mount Merapi, the erupting Indonesian volcano which is triggering mass evacuation for the people living near it. From cerita ambar:
My first encounter actually in 1992 when Mt Merapi erupted with massive lava flow. I was just graduated from high school which I used to be a member of hiking club. I climbed Mt Merbabu where lied across the Mt Merapi. On that day I heard about Merapi. Like today's news, everybody flocked into Mt Merapi. But I decided watching it from far. I drove motorcycle went to the highest place I can find. Someone told me that the flyover (recently built) was a favorite for people seeing lava at night. Oh yes I was there. The beauty but deadly lava flew brightly. We were amused and wondered in same time.

Then about end of 1993 the University that I went moved to the new location -Jalan Kaliurang about 8km from the last village of Merapi. During that year I experienced so many volcanic earthquakes that I get used to it. Sometimes when you lying on the floor you feel the earth moving, but did not caused any destruction. I used to go to the villages for walking or simply get out from buzzy life as a student. Having noodle soup at the hiker warung (food stall) with my trusty Honda motorcycle. I experienced the 1994 eruption when most of the victims been carried through Jl Kaliurang with badly damaged skin from wedhus gembel ( pyroclastic flows- an extreme hot cloud that flew along with lava). In total 43 people of Mt Merapi died on that day.

3 comments:

Jason Sylvis said...

Wow. I can't imagine what it's like living with this rumbling giant in my back yard.
I have a friend who is freelance reporting from Mount Merapi right now.
Check out his blog if you get the chance.
http://mountmerapi.blogspot.com
Great site.
j

Anonymous said...

It hasn't erupted totally yet.

ambaradventure said...

it DID !!!

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...