Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mr Brown suspended! Suspend the editor too.

An anonymous reader left a comment two days ago on my post, "Did Mr Brown distort the truth?" He said, "today will sack brown and its editor." And on the same day, I received an email most probably sent by the same person which echoes the same words as above.

The sacking did happen. Mr Brown today revealed in his blog that he has been "suspended". From Mr Brown:
I have been informed that TODAY has suspended my column.

It has been a trying few days for me, my family, my mum and my friends. Thank you all for your emails, letters, calls, SMSes, blogs and comments, I don't know what to say.
"It is not the job of government officials to take a position on newspaper articles or blog posts unless they are clearly illegal," says Reporters Without Borders regarding the MICA-Mr Brown incident. Well, apparently here in Singapore such views on newspaper articles are clearly illegal.

It is not surprising that TODAY took the action on Mr Brown but what I would like to know is if the editor incharge of Mr Brown's column is still in the job. If Mr Brown is at fault for airing his government un-friendly views on the paper, then I strongly feel that the editor should also take the blame because it was him that gave it a green light for publication.

So to the bigwigs at TODAY newspaper: Suspend Mr Brown? Suspend the editor too.

Related: Down with Brown?
Previously: Did Mr Brown distort the truth?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder if his best friend Miyagi will stop writing for TODAY too.

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree. Whoever is in charge should be sacked too. If he isn't, then he should be a man and leave his post voluntarily.

Anonymous said...

poor thing.

Anonymous said...

mr brown is a family man.
it will be unwise for him to futher his cause to go against the government.

Anonymous said...

Think from now on, newspapers will be wary of employing bloggers to write for them.

Anonymous said...

IT WILL BE MORE OF A SURPRISE IF TODAY DID NOT SACK BROWN.

Anonymous said...

wa lao Brown kena suspend. the mica people suck lah.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the editor should be blamed, if you agree with mr brown's article. In my humble opinion, the editor did the right to publish it...it is the people punishing mr brown and the editor who are wrong.

Anonymous said...

If im miyagi i will quit TODAY.

Anonymous said...

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

Boycott TODAY!

lbandit said...

Stop grabbing copies of Today! And if they deliver to your house, leave it and let it stack outside the house.

Though it might become a fire hazard..

PalliativeDrug said...

Ha. So much for One People, One Nation, One Singapore.

Come to think of it, it might not be Today's fault. They might be 'obeying' instructions from 'somebody up there'... if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Free press in Singapore is a myth.

Anonymous said...

We can spread the word so that everyone do not pick up a copy of TODAY again. If no one reads TODAY, they will have to close down.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't quit if I were Miyagi. Notice how his latest article draws attention to the 'I am Singaporean' meme that's building up?

More attention is simply drawn to his and MB's blog, driving up awareness of what has happened.

You pick your battles wisely.

Anonymous said...

TODAY newspaper will always be widely read because it is free and Singaporeans love free stuff.

Anonymous said...

I do not think that the govt has a total control on what the press writes but they do have an influence on them.

Anonymous said...

We should take more copie of today, and pass them all the to "garung guni" man.

Anonymous said...

if I Miyagi I dun think I will want to write for Today newspaper after what they did to my fren liao.

Anonymous said...

The TODAY Voices editor is a lady.

Anonymous said...

miyagi wrote in his blog saying that he will continue to write for TODAY.. wtf!!!

Anonymous said...

You cannot blame Miyagi if he choose to continue writing for TODAY. If you read Miyagi's blog, you'll know that he's in an awkward position. He even discussed with Mr Brown and THEY decided that he should continue to do so as they really need the income.

Andy said...

Instead of doing passive protests such as boycotting Today newspaper, why not try active ones like publically burning those copies?

Great idea if you ask me, as long as they don't catch you and put you in jail for god knows what reason.

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...