The European Union has adopted a target of preventing a rise in global average temperature of more than two Celsius.
That, according to the report, might be too high, with two degrees being enough to trigger melting of the Greenland ice sheet...
A rise of two Celsius, researchers conclude, will be enough to cause:
* Decreasing crop yields in the developing and developed world
* Tripling of poor harvests in Europe and Russia
* Large-scale displacement of people in north Africa from desertification
* Up to 2.8bn people at risk of water shortage
* 97% loss of coral reefs
* Total loss of summer Arctic sea ice causing extinction of the polar bear and the walrus
* Spread of malaria in Africa and north America
Monday, January 30, 2006
A report by the UK government finds that greenhouse gases may have more serious impacts that previously thought. The report paints a grim picture for the world in which greenhouse gases is causing global warming at a rate which is unsustainable. From BBC:
Posted by I.Z. Reloaded at 5:10 PM
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Singapore License.