Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Are Blogs the New Resumes?

Job seekers who want to have an edge against others should include their blogs in their resumes. From Innovation Zen:
Let’s look at it from the other side. Imagine you are a prospective employer, and you can compare two identical candidates. The first candidate has simply handed you a 2 page resume + 1 page cover letter. The second candidate has done the same, but they have also included a link to their blog. Now, further imagine that although the blog gives a more detailed picture, it does not change your opinion of the second candidate.

Which candidate would you choose? My guess is that you would choose the blogger simply because they are a known quantity.
I guess when it comes to clinching that new job, it pays to have a good blog.

(via Micro Persuasion)

5 comments:

desperate addict said...

Haha. My blog is crappy half the time. It's not gonna help me get employed.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Really?! I go start a blog now. Need to change job soon.

JDsg said...

Taking this advice would be playing with fire. Far too many people lose their jobs and lose their chance at a job by having (potential) employers read their blogs. I may mention casually to people (including my boss) that I have some blogs, but I don't give out the URLs, and I try to keep my blogs semi-anonymous by using initials (JDsg).

So, think twice about giving out your blog address on your resume.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want my employers to be reading my blog if it is full of personal and intimate details of my life.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want my employer to read all the personal and intimate details of my life.

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...