Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I felt my first earthquake today!

It's official. I felt my first earthquake today. The earthquake happened this morning in Sumatra. It has so far killed 70 people. From CNN:
"Women were crying out in terror. We all just fled as quickly as we could," Alpion, a welder in the seaside town of Padang said, according to Reuters.

Along with thousands of others, he was fleeing to higher ground, fearing a possible tsunami. Authorities said the quake did not cause any tidal activity...

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a magnitude 6.3 earthquake about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north-northeast of Padang at 10:50 a.m. (0350 GMT). A 6.1 temblor followed two hours later within miles of the first quake's epicenter.
The tremors were felt in Singapore and Malaysia. I was sitting infront of my desk and I remember feeling giddy all of the sudden. I stopped my work, held on to my desk and I could even feel my body sway sideways slightly. I initially thought it was because I didn't had enough sleep. Ha! Others in Singapore felt the tremors too. From Channel NewsAsia:
The tremors were felt in many parts of Singapore and in some 236 buildings.

Most of the buildings were in Ang Mo Kio, Yishun, Toa Payoh, Woodlands, Serangoon, Sengkang and CBD areas like Robinson Road, Shenton Way and Suntec Singapore.

Callers to the MediaCorp News Hotline reported tremors were also felt at Beach Road and Choa Chu Kang.

Of those affected, 131 were HDB buildings, 95 commercial buildings and 10 private residences.

Witnesses said some tall buildings in the central business district swayed slightly.

Several buildings, like the Concourse at Beach Road, Capital Square and Centennial Tower in the city, and even Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Clementi, were evacuated.

But the eastern parts were also not excluded as residents in Bedok and Pasir Ris reported that buildings in their areas also shook.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Authorities say that buildings in Singapore are safe from such tremors but I wonder if they can withstand numerous tremors within a short span of time.

Anonymous said...

congrats.

think of those people suffering now in sumatra.

Anonymous said...

lack of sleep? hehe. what did you do last night iz? ;o)

Anonymous said...

my first one too!

Anonymous said...

I felt it and I thought "wait a minute, I didn't have any liquor just now right?"

Anonymous said...

I have a strong feeling that a real big one will come.

Anonymous said...

How come I don't feel anything?

Anonymous said...

shenton way chaos just now man.

Anonymous said...

I felt the tremor too. At Singapore Land Tower CBD. It was after 2pm, and I also initially thought that it was because I didn't sleep well.

Anonymous said...

IZ: Over here at Suntec, most of us left our offices when we felt the tremor.

Anonymous said...

Most parts of Singapore can feel it because the earthquake happened closer to us this time than before.

Anonymous said...

i din feel the first one but felt the second.

Anonymous said...

i work at shenton way.
if everyday like this got a lot of smokin breaks!

Anonymous said...

Tremors can be an exciting experience but can you imagine experiencing a real earthquake like what the Indonesians face occasionally? Must be horrifying when you have run for your life all the time.

Anonymous said...

feels like being on a boat

Anonymous said...

ha... i didnt feel anything yest!@@
Well, goin be hot topic if it happens again (cross fingers & touch wood)><

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...